Role: Head of Governance
Location: Hybrid - from home and Westminster, London
Hours: Part-time, 2-3 days per week, 9am - 5.30pm
Start date: July 2021
Contract length: Permanent
Reporting to: Director of Operations
Salary: £35,000 - £40,000 pro rata
Closing date: 10 June 2022
How to Apply
Please send acover letter explaining your reasons for applying and how you meet the person specification along with your CV to Cary Mitchell at [email protected] by midday on 10th June 2022.
Please also provide the names of two referees who we can approach. We will not approach your referrees without informing you first.
Interviews may take place before the closing date, and we may decide to appoint a successful candidate ASAP.
Please put the job title in the subject of your email.
About Best for Britain
Best for Britain is the UK's leading nonpartisan advocacy group upholding internationalist values. We're fighting to build close ties with Europe and the rest of the world, as well as promoting democratic values at home. We take pride in our all-party approach to political campaigning and the leading market research and polling that we produce.
This is a newly-created part-time position and a key role for Best for Britain as we continue to grow. We are a high-profile political organisation that campaigns for integrity in public life, and we strive to embody those values in our own organisation. You would be at the heart of ensuring we have robust governance and compliance, and that those values are embedded throughout the organisation.
You will work closely with the Director of Operations to support the Board and senior management team in their responsibilities as well as ensuring good governance and compliance across the organisation. You would be the point of contact for employees on HR matters, playing a key role in maintaining Best for Britain as a welcoming and diverse workplace. You would have the opportunity to work closely with members of our board and its committees in developing organisational strategies and implementing policy throughout the organisation. You will also line manage the Finance and Office Manager.
This role would suit someone with broad experience of office management and will allow you to develop your HR, compliance and governance skills. expe / You will need to enjoy being highly organised, adept at prioritising tasks, comfortable liaising directly with Board members and used to a fast-paced working environment. The role is part-time, 2-3 days per week, and can be hybrid in-office and from home.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the Director of Operations in ensuring good governance, financial prudence, legal and HR best practice are followed at all times across the organisation
- Managing and leading the organisation’s HR function day-to-day, being the point of contact for staff on HR matters
- Reviewing contracts, maintaining and updating internal policy documents.
- Advising the senior management team on company policies and employment law, managing the grievance and disciplinary processes
- Managing board governance and supporting the Senior Management Team in their responsibilities to the board and its committees, preparing Board packs and committee papers
- Line managing the Finance and Office Manager
- Office management/senior administrative experience in a previous role
- Line management experience
- Organised and able to handle operational activities such as scheduling meetings, helping to prepare in-person and virtual events
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Reliable, resilient and able to juggle multiple priorities in a constantly-changing campaign environment
- Able to take initiative and work independently. Proactive in coming up with ideas and following them through
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Affinity with Best for Britain’s political aims and values
- Comfortable with reviewing management accounts
- Familiar with G Suite including Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Drive
- Professional experience of working in a political environment
- Experience of using CRM tools
To apply for this role, please send a CV and cover letter to Cary Mitchell at firstname.lastname@example.org by midday on 10th June 2022. Please include your reasons for applying, and explain how you meet the person specification.
Best for Britain is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we believe that this makes us a dynamic and effective organisation. We are an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, gender, age, disability, class or any other protected characteristic.
Our roles and culture are inclusive and we can make reasonable adjustments throughout the application process and on the job. If you have any particular requirements, do get in touch.