Role: Press Officer
Location: Hybrid - from home and Westminster, London
Hours: Full-Time, 9am - 5.30pm
Start date: July 2021
Contract length: Permanent
Reporting to: Head of Communications
Salary: £30,000 p.a.
Closing date: 11th July 2022
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter explaining your reasons for applying and how you meet the person specification along with your CV to Niall McGourty at [email protected] by midday on 11th July 2022.
Please also provide the names of two referees who we can approach. We will not approach your referrees without informing you first.
Interviews may take place before the closing date, and we may decide to appoint a successful candidate ASAP.
Please put the job title in the subject of your email.
About Best for Britain
Best for Britain is the UK's leading cross-party advocacy group upholding internationalist values. We're fighting to build close ties with Europe and the rest of the world, as well as promoting democratic values at home. We take pride in our nonpartisan approach to political campaigning and the leading market research and polling that we produce.
We’re looking for an energetic, driven and creative candidate to join our agile media team, to help build Best for Britain’s public profile and support for our campaign goals. In this role you will work closely with the Head of Communications and Director of Communications to deliver Best for Britain’s key media coverage targets by independently creating, planning and delivering media outputs and reacting to breaking news.
The successful candidate will contribute to the running of our team’s day-to-day operations by producing spokesperson briefings, identifying rapid reactive press opportunities, writing opinion pieces and press releases and pitching to journalists and broadcast producers. They will produce media outputs for The UK Trade and Business Commission, The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Coronavirus and work closely with Best for Britain’s research, campaigns and digital teams in order to maximise the impact of our important work.
This role will suit someone who is innovative both in their writing and in generating new ways for Best for Britain to secure media coverage. They should have excellent written communication skills, a strong appetite for news, as well as good political instincts and judgement. The role requires good organisation, foresight and the ability to communicate sometimes complex policy in ways that are concise, engaging and understandable. The successful candidate will also have the ability to create strong working relationships with journalists, have confidence in briefing spokespeople and who can work to tight deadlines.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Creating media opportunities for Best for Britain, APPG on Coronavirus and UK Trade and Business Commission.
- Identifying and reacting quickly to breaking press opportunities
- Drafting and editing press releases, statements and opinion pieces.
- Building excellent relationships with journalists and producers with particular focus on broadcast.
- Ensuring spokespeople receive effective briefings in a timely fashion.
- Contributing to the accurate reporting on Best for Britain’s media outputs and impact.
- Providing regular news updates for the Best for Britain team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to produce accurate work while working to challenging deadlines
- A strong interest in politics and current affairs
- A strong news sense and a keen eye for finding ways to secure media coverage
- Ability to quickly produce engaging and accurate copy
- Familiar with G Suite including Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Drive
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Affinity with Best for Britain’s political aims and values
- Experience working in a newsroom, press office, media agency or on a digital platform
- Existing contacts within broadcast and print media
- Professional experience in writing copy, particularly opinion pieces or blogs.
- A good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice
- NCTJ qualification or equivalent experience
To apply for this role, please send a CV and cover letter to Niall McGourty at email@example.com by midday on 11th July 2022. Please include your reasons for applying, and explain how you meet the person specification.
Best for Britain is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we believe that this makes us a dynamic and effective organisation. We are an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, gender, age, disability, class or any other protected characteristic.
Our roles and culture are inclusive and we can make reasonable adjustments throughout the application process and on the job. If you have any particular requirements, do get in touch.