- Role: Senior Campaigns and Policy Officer
- Location: Westminster, London (flexible working)
- Hours: 37.5 hours per week, 9am - 5.30pm
- Start date: June/July 2021
- Contract length: Three months, with the potential for renewal on a permanent basis
- Reporting to: Director of Operations
- Salary: Up to £31,500 depending on experience
- Closing date: 5pm Tuesday 15th June 2021
How to Apply
Please send a CV and cover letter to Cary Mitchell at [email protected]
Include your reasons for applying, and explain how you meet the person specification, below.
Please put the job title in the subject of your email.
About Best for Britain
Best for Britain is working to keep the UK closely aligned to Europe and to provide scrutiny of Government and Parliament as the UK navigates its post-Brexit role in the world. Our team comprises people from all political parties and none. We take pride in our all-party approach to political campaigning and the leading market research and polling that we produce. Our work is more vital than ever before as the UK deals with the double challenges posed by Coronavirus and life outside the EU. Find out more here.
We are looking for someone to take on day-to-day responsibility for our campaigns output and supporter engagement. The role is fast-paced, changeable and requires strong communication and interpersonal skills. This role will suit someone with particularly strong written communication skills, who is comfortable producing written work to a tight timeframe.
We are seeking someone passionate about campaigning, changing minds and holding Government to account. You will have an interest in or be keen to learn about all of Best for Britain’s campaign areas: bettering UK democracy, getting the world to work together on global issues like climate change, and improving trade and cooperation with the world for the benefit of everyone.
You will be joining a small and dynamic team with the opportunity to develop skills and interests in a range of areas.
Working closely with the Director of Operations, you will have responsibilities and a role in planning, designing, writing and implementing all Best for Britain’s campaigns. Key activities include writing campaigning content such as emails to our mailing list, petitions, letters to MPs; creating website landing pages for that content; building and updating audiences for our campaigns; creating and managing letter-writing campaigns on our bespoke hey-mp.uk site.
An important part of your work will be planning the user journey for supporters to maximise our effectiveness and to meet our goals for turning supporters into actively-engaged campaigners and donors. Your writing skills and ability to understand and appreciate policy, data and research will be required to help create the reports and depth of content that underpins our campaigns.
You will work closely with the social media team to harness viral campaigning moments to grow our database of supporters and make immediate impact on key issues of policy or current events. You will also work with the press and external affairs teams to ensure our campaigns are influential on decision-makers and in keeping with wider operational goals, you will be be part of integrating our campaigns with our policy and research output.
Alongside, there will be research, policy writing and some administrative responsibilities.
- Intellectual curiosity
- At least 2 years experience in a campaigning or policy role
- Commitment to Britain’s close relationship with Europe and global cooperation
- Analytical approach to desk research
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Someone who can produce written work to a high standard on a tight deadline
- Experience with a range of communication styles and mediums.
- Strong attention to detail, interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Able to take initiative and work independently. Proactive in coming up with ideas and following them through
- Strong administrative and IT skills
- Respect for sensitive and confidential information
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Experience of using Nationbuilder or a similar CRM or mailing platform (eg. Mailchimp, etc) to communicate with a large database and create web content.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop.
- Understanding of and interest in UK politics
- Experience working in occasionally high-pressure and time-sensitive scenarios
- Basic Html coding
- Some qualitative research experience
To apply for this role, please send a CV and cover letter to Cary Mitchell at [email protected] before 5pm Tuesday 15th June 2021. Please include the job title you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
Please include your reasons for applying, and explain how you meet the person specification. Please also provide the names of two referees who we can approach.
Interviews may take place before the closing date, and we may decide to appoint a successful candidate ASAP.
Best for Britain is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we believe that this makes us a dynamic and effective organisation. We are an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, gender, age, disability, class or any other protected characteristic.
Our roles and culture are inclusive and we can make reasonable adjustments throughout the application process and on the job. If you have any particular requirements, do get in touch.