Role: Research Officer
Location: Hybrid - from home and Westminster, London
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, 9am - 5.30pm
Start date: December 2022/January 2023
Contract length: Permanent
Reporting to: Head of Research
Salary: Up to £25,500K pa
Closing date: 4 December 2022
How to Apply
Please send acover letter explaining your reasons for applying and how you meet the person specification along with your CV to Jennifer Watson at [email protected] by midday on 1 December 2022.
Please also provide the names of two referees who we can approach. We will not approach your referrees without informing you first.
Interviews may take place before the closing date, and we may decide to appoint a successful candidate ASAP.
Please put the job title in the subject of your email.
About Best for Britain
Best for Britain is the UK's leading nonpartisan advocacy group upholding internationalist values. We're fighting to build close ties with Europe and the rest of the world, as well as promoting democratic values at home. We take pride in our all-party approach to political campaigning and the leading market research and polling that we produce.
If you are a political animal, and enjoy working in a fast paced but detail focused environment, we want to hear from you. This role supports the Head of Research and Research Manager to deliver Best for Britain’s research and policy agenda. Key projects include the APPG on Coronavirus, the UK Trade and Business Commission and Best for Britain’s work scrutinising UK Government Bills.
The successful candidate will gain immediate exposure to some of the most pressing political issues of the day. They will contribute to the running of our team’s day-to-day operations by supporting and preparing key meetings including with external stakeholders, and will support the production of briefings and research materials. Attention to detail and being highly organised are critical, together with a can-do attitude and enjoyment of being a team player to create strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
The successful candidate will also work closely with our press, political and campaigns teams in order to maximise the impact of this important work.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the delivery of key projects, including the APPG on Coronavirus, the UK Trade and Business Commission and our work scrutinising UK Government Bills
- Assisting with the organisation and administration of meetings and events, including by managing diaries and taking minutes
- Supporting meetings with internal and external stakeholders, including parliamentarians and external organisations
- Carrying out research to support the production of briefings including for parliamentarians
- Producing research material and other deliverables of the team
- Drafting internal communications
- Maintaining and updating the UK Trade and Business Commission and APPG on Coronavirus websites using Squarespace
- A keen interest in politics, current affairs and how the UK Parliament works
- Intellectually curious
- Strong research and analytical skills, with the ability to analyse and synthesise information from a variety of sources
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to produce accurate work while working to challenging deadlines
- Familiar with G Suite including Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Drive
- Experience in website maintenance
- Highly organised
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Reliable, resilient and able to juggle multiple priorities in a constantly-changing campaign environment
- Able to take initiative and work independently. Proactive in coming up with ideas and following them through
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Professional experience of working in a political environment and with legislative material
- Experience working with CMS systems
- Experience working across disciplines and different teams
- Experience of using CRM tools
- Experience using Squarespace
- Experience using Zoom, and third party streaming providers such as Restream.io
To apply for this role, please send a CV and cover letter to Jennifer Watson at email@example.com by midday on 1 December 2022. Please include your reasons for applying, and explain how you meet the person specification.
Best for Britain is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we believe that this makes us a dynamic and effective organisation. We are an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, gender, age, disability, class or any other protected characteristic.
Our roles and culture are inclusive and we can make reasonable adjustments throughout the application process and on the job. If you have any particular requirements, do get in touch.